(Phoenix, Ariz. - Dec. 21, 2010) Attorney General Goddard today offered Arizona consumers a list of 10 toy safety tips to keep in mind this holiday season.
Thousands of toys are on the market, each promising to educate or entertain children. Unfortunately, as recalls of millions of toys in past years have shown, not every toy is safe. Toy buyers can help protect children from injury by being careful, vigilant shoppers. Here are a handful of tips:
- Choose toys with care. Keep in mind the child's age, interests and skill level.
- Look for quality design and construction in all toys for all ages.
- Make sure that all directions or instructions are clear -- to you, and, when appropriate, to the child.
- Be a label reader. Look for and heed age recommendations, such as "Not recommended for children under 3." Look for other safety labels including: "Flame retardant/Flame resistant" on fabric products and "Washable/hygienic materials" on stuffed toys and dolls.
- Plastic wrappings on toys should be discarded at once before they become deadly playthings.
- Avoid choking hazards. Do not buy small toys or toys with small parts for children under 3, or any children who still put things in their mouth.
- Buy children accessories for safety. Toys such as bicycles, scooters, skateboards and inline skates are safer when children wear protective gear. If you plan to give any of these toys as gifts, make them safer by also giving a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads or wrist guards.
- Avoid children's toys that contain lead or toxic chemicals.
- Stay informed of recalls. You can check recall information by contacting the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") at www.cpsc.gov ( http://www.cpsc.gov/ ) or calling their consumer hotline at 1-800-638-2772.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has the authority to recall dangerous toys and products from the market. If you think a toy or product is hazardous, contact the CPSC and submit a report by: Phone: 800.638.2772 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx
For more tips and information on toy safety, check the following websites:
Federal Recall Information: http://www.recalls.gov
US Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
Public Interest Research Group: http://www.uspirg.org
Toy Industry Association: http://toyinfo.org/