(Phoenix, Ariz. – Oct. 11, 2006) Attorney General Terry Goddard today announced that R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company agreed to end the sale of candy-, fruit- and alcohol flavored cigarettes manufactured and sold by Reynolds. Goddard joined 38 other Attorneys General in the settlement agreement.
"Candy and fruit flavors are obviously attractive to kids and adding them to cigarettes is grossly irresponsible,” Goddard said. "This settlement will ensure that R. J. Reynolds acts more responsibly in developing and marketing its products.”
Under the settlement, Reynolds agreed to a U.S. ban of its flavored Camel, Kool and Salem cigarettes. The agreement also imposes significant marketing restrictions that make it virtually impossible for Reynolds to market a flavored cigarette to young people.
The settlement agreement provides for the following restrictions to any cigarettes manufactured by Reynolds in the future that have a flavor other than tobacco or menthol:
- The name of the cigarette may not be candy, fruit or an alcoholic beverage and may not include terms that suggest imagery of candy, fruit or alcoholic beverages.
- Reynolds may not use print advertising, point of sale materials, exterior packaging or non-age-verified direct mail or Internet advertising that contains names of candy, fruit or alcoholic beverages, or imagery of candy, fruit or alcoholic beverages.
- Reynolds may not distribute scented promotional materials, such as ALift and Sniffs@ or AScratch and Sniffs.@
- Using candy, fruit and alcohol flavors with high youth appeal;
The Attorneys General argued that Reynolds targeted youth by:
- Advertising and packaging with graphics, typography, colors, styles and themes that were enticing to youth;
- Using AScratch and Sniff@ and ALift and Sniff@ promotional cards scented with sweet, candy aromas, but with none of the scent of tobacco.
- The flavored cigarettes sold by Reynolds that are specifically banned by the Agreement are:
- Camel Exotic Blends: Mandarin Mint, Dark Mint, Crema, Izmir Stinger, Twist, Cinnzabar, Mandalay Lime, Aegean Spice, Bayou Blast, Beach Breezer, Margarita Mixer, Midnight Madness, Back Alley Blend, Kauai Kolada, Twista Lime, Winter MochaMint, Warm Winter Toffee, Blackjack Gin, Screwdriver Slots and SnakeEyes Scotch.
- Salem Silver: Dark Currents, Fire & Ice, Deep Freeze and Cool Myst.
- Kool Smooth Fusions: Mintrigue, Mocha Taboo, Midnight Berry and Caribbean Chill.
Attached is a copy of the agreement.