Attorney General Goddard recognizes LifeSmarts Students
(Phoenix, Ariz. – April 14, 2004) Attorney General Terry Goddard recognized the first place team of the LifeSmarts consumer challenge program Tuesday afternoon. These students will represent Arizona in the national LifeSmarts competition beginning April 24 in Chicago, Ill.
LifeSmarts is a consumer educational program that helps teens develop the consumer and marketplace skills needed to be responsible consumers and citizens. The competition focus on five areas of consumer knowledge that teens need to know to function effectively in today’s marketplace.
Mr. Goddard recognized two-time state champion “Cupcake Eating Pink Flamingos,” team from Gilbert. He presented the team the team medals, shirts, mouse pads and certificates.
“It is my highest priority as Attorney General is to protect Arizona’s youngest consumers, our future leaders,” Goddard said. “One of the best ways to meet this goal is to provide opportunities that will teach teens about consumer and marketplace issues.”
The team members are team captain Kristen Yolland, Basha’s High School; Sean Fenner of Liberty High School, Ezra Helsel who is home schooled, and Sara Yolland of Queen Creek High School. They are coached by Marjorie Burnell and Sarah Joyce.
Other LifeSmart recognition events include:
- April 14: Recognition of the Chino Valley High School team, awarded 7th Place Honorable Mention in the state competition. Event will be held at Chino High School, 730 E. Center Street, Chino Valley. Event begins at Noon.
- April 15: Recognition of the Gilbert High School team, awarded 5th Place Honorable Mention in the state competition. Event will be held at Gilbert High School, 1101 E. Elliot Road, Gilbert. Event begins at 10:15 a.m.
- April 20: Kingman High School teams, awarded 2nd, and 6th Places in the state competition. Event will be held at Kingman High School, 4182 N. Bank Street, Kingman. Event begins at 10 a.m.
- April 20: Recognition of the Kingman Academy High School team, awarded 4th Place in the state competition. Event will be held at the Kingman Academy High School.
- Still to be scheduled –
- Recognition event for the Desert Vista High School team, awarded 3rd Place in the state competition.
- Recognition event for Kofa High School team, awarded 8th Place Honorable Mention in the state competition
The national LifeSmarts competition runs from April 24 – 27, 2004. For more information about the LifeSmarts program, visit the Attorney General’s kids page at www.ag.state.az.us.