Find a Housing Counselor
Housing counselors can assist borrowers like you who need assistance and want to stay in your home or those seeking alternatives to foreclosure. Services are provided to you at no cost through funds received from the National Mortgage Settlement which are being distributed to various housing counseling agencies through the state.
Click on your county to find counselors in your area that you may contact directly, or call the Arizona Foreclosure Help-Line at 877-448-1211 for a referral.
What Housing Counselors Do
- Assess your mortgage status and develop a plan to help you
- Communicate with your lender/servicer
- Submit paperwork that may stop foreclosure activity
- If needed, refer you to other resources, including legal services in your area
It pays to use a housing counselor to help you stay in your home*:
- 69% of homeowners got a mortgage remedy with the help of a counselor
- Nearly 70% who sought help, before they were delinquent with mortgage payments, were still in their home and current 18 months later
- Median mortgage payments were reduced 22%, with the help of a counselor
- Homeowners in default were twice as likely to avoid foreclosure, if they were aided by a housing counselor
*These statistics are from HUD Foreclosure Counseling Outcome Study. May 2012; The Urban Institute NFMC Program Evaluation, December 2011 and Neighbor Works America: NFMC Program Report - June 11, 2012.